07 November 2008

Blog

This past week, several people have come up to me and asked me how I was doing, and said that I seemed down. A few even called me, just to talk. I had an off day on Monday so I can see how some of them would have thought that. Also, one person read one of my previous blogs about the band which I guess was kind of pessimistic. I actually feel like I am doing better now then I was a week ago. I've made an important change for the better that I'd rather not discuss here. I've attempted to make this change several times before and I've failed miserably, but this time, I've put my faith in God to get me through it, and it's going well. My ankle still hurts from spraining it more than a month and a half ago, which is a source of frustration for me. I really want to do things but my ankle hinders me from doing so. I want to start eating healthier, but I hate fruits and vegetables. I recently started taking multi vitamins, when I remember to, and I'm assuming they're helping me because they have stuff that is good for me in them. I've recently started talking to an old friend, Carl of the band Last Tuesday more frequently now, which has made me happy. I miss LT. They were a good band and are all really cool dudes. Alex just bought Carl's bass, so now he has a sweet new backup bass.

You know, whenever I make a decision, I think about it for several days, even weeks before really deciding I want to to something, and then I finally tell people, and they try to discourage me from doing what I think makes sense. 1.) I want to sell me bass in order to get things for my drums and help with other band expenses. Trevor is borrowing it right now and might purchase it. My mom and a bunch of my friends are mad at me for wanting to sell it. Yeah, it's a beautiful bass. Yeah, I spent alot of money on it. The thing is, it just sits in the basement on the guitar rack most of the time because i don't have time to play it, and the only time it really gets used is if something goes wrong with alex's bass, which is virtually never, and now he has his own backup bass. If I can get a solid portion of what I paid for it, I don't see a reason not to sell it. Of course I will miss it, but there are more important things than pretty basses. 2.) I am going to MCC next semester for Liberal Arts. People are mad at me for "giving up on music." I'm not giving up on music, I'm just not getting a degree in recording. Recording was not what I wanted to do with my life in the first place, and if people truly knew me, they would know that what I want to do with my life is to be a touring musician, hopefully with Red Letter Statement.

Speaking of RLS, things are picking up pace a little bit, which is good, because I have been really disapointed at how slowly we have been moving. I would still like to move even faster. Hopefully I will be working soon again and saving up money for recording/other band needs. I want us to go on tour soon. I know.... Touring is expensive, it takes alot of planning and alot of work. Well, lets decide to do it. I'm prepared to drop everthing and work full-time for a semester, while practicing every single evening, in order to save money for touring, and to be a band worthy of touring. I know, it's not fair to ask everyone else to do the same, I'm just saying what i want to do. We will be recording soon, hopefully in January, so that we have something worthy of showing to fans, peers, and record labels. We have a show tomorrow in Nichols, NY which is almost three hours away. I'm pretty stoked. I get stoked when we play anywhere, but even more so when we play outside of rochester, because you almost feel like you're on tour. Hours in the van with my bros, driving to a strange place, where no one knows what to expect. That excites me. I like playing for a new audience.

On a side note, it hasn't even been a week of no shave november yet, and I am doing better than last year with it. woot.

mitch

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I'm glad your going to MCC. Maybe I'll be able to see you more.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if you really want to, sell your bass, but for a lot of dough - you paid a ton for it. We are glad you decided to stay in school. It will be great to have you home. I am sorry FLCC did not work out, but I am so thankful and proud of you, too, for deciding not to give up. I know you can do it. I am always here for you.
Love always,
LAMVDB

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. yes, yiour face is getting hairy....

2:51 AM  
Blogger Mitch VanDenBerghe said...

Anonymous, your name is mom, not lamvdb

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, yes, it is me (mom). I will sign as mom from now on for you.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

What Do You Think?

<< Home